Saturday, October 10, 2026

In Conversation with Animator Mary Beams

by G. Jack Urso
 
Scene from “Space Mates,” by Mary Beams (1979). Full video provided below.


Back in 1980, sitting down in front of my TV watching episode 10 of Hot Hero Sandwich, I was entranced while watching the animated short, “Space Mates,” set to Paul Kanter’s (of Jefferson Starship) “Have you Seen the Stars Tonite.” Coming off LeVar Burton’s recounting of a recurring “flying” dream and ending with Barbara Feldon’s hushed, “We’ll Be Right Back,” I found the whole piece transcendent. Raised on a steady diet of Saturday morning cartoons, the imagery of two whales in space cavorting and floating amid the starry firmament sparked my imagination.

With no syndication or video releases, over time, the actual content of the short film faded away in my mind to just a few fleeting images — the “cosmic whales” as I referred to them – it was a tribute to the artist that I remembered any of it after just one viewing so many years ago. A similar experience that one fan shared with the Hot Hero Sandwich Project for AlJarnow’s short film for the series, a music video based on “Wild Night” by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas.

As I would later discover over four decades later, “Space Mates” was the creation of artist Mary Beams, who also contributed the episode 2 animation segment “Flying to Bermuda” and episode 8’s “School in the Sky,” visual interpretations of children recounting their dreams to Dr. Lee Salk (brother of Dr. Jonas Salk, inventor of the polio vaccine).

Born in Chicago and having studied painting and graphics at Miami University in Ohio, filmmaking at Boston University, and animation at Harvard (where she later worked at the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts), Beams brought with her to Hot Hero Sandwich an avant-garde sensibility along with a broad range of animated techniques from experimental abstracts to more conventional figured-based animation.

In this interview, Beams shares with us the work she did immediately prior to the series, how the animation was done in the era before widespread use of personal computers, who the children were who narrated the “Flying to Bermuda” and “School in the Sky” short films, even how much she got paid — all of which helps paint a better picture of the era and the series.

I have a great love for animation and being able to interview the artists who worked on Hot Hero Sandwich is an exceptionally rare delight as the series was so influential for me personally. So, let’s find out more about those children’s dreams by talking to Mary Beams!

__________________________________________________________________ 


Hot Hero Sandwich Project (HHSP): Before we discuss your time with Hot Hero Sandwich, I’d like to talk about your Boston Subway art panels. According to a 2015 New York Times article about your Boston subway panels, they were on display until that year when they went up for auction. I believe that was the last thing you did before moving to New York City in 1978. Is that true?

One of Mary Beams’ Boston Subway mural art panels (1978; credit, Skinner).

Mary Beams: Yes.  Oh, God, yes. That was one hell of a year, but it was pretty amazing too. I did a gazillion things in that year. 

HHSP: In the interview with After-Hours Animation, I think you called it the “gobsmack year.” How many panels did you do for the subway project because only two were shown in the article?

Another of Beam’s subway panels
(credit, Skinner).
Mary Beams: I did 19. I actually did 20, but they didn’t get the twentieth one in time and it got lost in a divorce. There were 19 of them, most of them by four by eight [4x8] feet, each one, and a couple were shorter, different sizes that were cut to fit a certain spot that they were supposed to go. They were only supposed to be up for two months and they were up for 35 years.

HHSP: Amazing. How much time did you spend putting all those together?

Mary Beams: Well, I spent the summer riding the subway and taking photos and surreptitiously recording. I interviewed quite a few different people that I ran into and I thought it would have a lot of text on the paintings too, but in the end I decided it’s better to try to imagine what they’re thinking and talking about.

HHSP:  Agreed. Sometimes less is more, as the saying goes.

Mary Beams:  So, I spent the summer [of 1978] doing that, and then I spent the fall projecting. I had this great slide projector and they projected onto the prepared panels and traced what I wanted and then I hired a crew to help me paint. We used house paint and it was basically paint by number.

New York Groove

HHSP: After that, you came to New York in what I guess would be late 1978. Hot Hero went into production in the late winter months of 1979. When did you get involved with the series?

Mary Beams:  I was trying to remember, but there’s nothing in myself that’s remembering physically doing those things. I know I did.

HHSP: Understandably, it was a long time ago.

Mary Beams:  I remember turning them in and having meetings with Bruce and Carol [Bruce and Carol Hart, the producers] and things like that. I remember those circumstances, but I don’t remember what the weather was like, what season it was, how it was done . . . I was living on Broome Street at the time.

[Note: Broome Street In lower Manhattan in the 1970s became home to the burgeoning SoHo artist loft community].

HHSP: I see.

Mary Beams: My husband was partners with Jonathan Pearlman, who had been an agent. He and Jeff [Beams then husband] were filmmakers and Pearlman knew Bruce and Carroll. He [Pearlman] had represented them.

HHSP:  Oh, okay.

Mary Beams: He [Pearlman] actually was pretty key in a lot of work that I did when I was in New York because he had heard about things through different friends and got us together and things like that.

HHSP: So, he was the one who sort of helped put you in contact with Bruce and Carol Hart?

Mary Beams: Yeah. I had a lot of animator friends in New York at the time, but when I moved there, everybody was busy as everyone is in New York, and so I didn’t really know what to do to go about getting work. Everything I did was word of mouth from one thing to another. I think it was only later I found out who all else that I knew that was working with Bruce and Carol.

HHSP: In addition to Bruce and Carol, Hot Hero had an animation producer, Terry Kemper, and I’m wondering . . .

Mary Beams: Oh, right, yes. He was another connection. Both Jeff and Jonathan had worked with him before. He [Kemper] had produced commercials — live-action commercials — and he knew Jeff and Jonathan through their work.

Techniques and Processes

HHSP: I’m trying to get a feel for how much direction Bruce and Carol gave you. The interviews were done by Dr. Lee Salk, and in your notes you sent me you said that you got a transcript of the children’s interviews, which you had to edit down.

Mary Beams:  I had the sound as well.

HHSP: Really?

Mary Beams: The actual tapes were pretty spontaneous and they had a quality to them that I’m sure some people would have cleaned up and all that, but there was something about them that seemed like it would be hard to work with as is.  I masked two of the dreams together that the kids said that they had recorded and cut down a lot of their details.

Bruce and Carol were really, really generous about freedom of work. Given my difficulty in breaking into New York commercial animation they were, like, unbelievably generous.

HHSP: Did they give you like a time limit for the pieces, like you got three minutes, four minutes or so?

Mary Beams: Oh, yeah. And they told me generally what they wanted and we talked about it and I would do storyboards and then go back and they would say, “Maybe this, but not that.”

“Space Mates,” by Mary Beams (1979) from the Hot Hero Sandwich YouTube channel.

HHSP: I’d like to turn to “Space Mates,” the short with the whales in space set to Paul Kanter’s “Have You See the Stars Tonite?” First of all, you have no idea how long that piece rented space in my head! I just saw it once in 1980 and remember being entranced by it. I referred to it in my mind as the “Cosmic Whales” piece, and it just totally blew my young self away.  A very different short film than “Flying to Bermuda” and “School in the Sky,” I can’t help but notice some thematic similarities to your 1978 animated short film, “Whale Songs” [see videos below] How did it come together?

Mary Beams: Well, in that case, they had a script of some kind that was really, really similar to a Saturday Night Live skit that had been done, you know, where they were actually humans in a spaceship and they ended up smoking cigarettes after their encounter.  I can’t remember much about it, but that was kind of the gist. They wanted a sexy space thing. And yes, you were right.  I was working with the “Whale Songs” movie too. I don’t even remember why I insisted it should be what I thought it should be, but they bought it. It just felt like they should be more organic than.

“Flying to Bermuda,” by Mary Beams (1979) from the Hot Hero Sandwich YouTube channel.

HHSP: Well, that was good choice! In the production notes they refer to it just as “Space” but “Space Mates” makes more sense. The entire piece, from the end of Levar Burton’s interview with Dr. Tom Cottle right through to Barbara Feldon’s very quiet, hushed, “We’ll be right back,” at the end, the whole segment is just wonderful.

Looking at your other short films from that era, and granted I haven’t seen everything, but “Flying to Bermuda” and “School in the Sky” [see videos above and below], sort of stand out because they have a stylized, figure-based animation and whereas your other work a little bit more abstract. I’m wondering if “Flying to Bermuda” and “School in the Sky,” were a bit more atypical of the work you were doing at the time?

“School in the Sky,” by Mary Beams (1979) from the Hot Hero Sandwich YouTube channel.

Mary Beams:  They were more atypical I would say. I didn’t do many people-based things at all. I had two cat films actually that had a person in them.

HHSP: Right, yes, I saw “Tub Film,” with the cat prowling around the bath. Something all cat lovers can relate to! [laughter]

Mary Beams: These were really, I would say, an aberration from what else I’ve done, other than doing rotoscoping. [Note: Rotoscoping is an animated process involved drawing over filmed live subjects.]

HHSP:  What was the process you used to put these films together?

Mary Beams: They were done on 4 by 6 index cards. They were, you know, it’s pretty simple and small.

HHSP: Not being an artist, it’s a bit hard to wrap my mind around. In the After-Hours Animation interview you note at least some of them were done with on reversal film, where the colors you did them in were not the same colors we see on the screen at the end.

Mary Beams: Yes.

HHSP: All of them or just a couple of them?

Mary Beams: “Space Mates” and “School in the Sky” in particular were done that way, and also “Whale Songs.” I worked a lot with Hi-Con [high contrast] film and using it as negative. So, I would draw in black pen and then it would be filmed in Hi-Con and that would be used as negative. So, it would be white lines on the screen in a black background and then when I made “Paul Revere’s Here” [see video below] I added a blue so it’d be red, white, and blue, sort of.

There’s a kind what you don’t see so much in the current in what’s available today is when they were projected they had kind of a rosy red afterglow in the white lines, and so it was like a, red, white, and blue film. It was surprising. I didn’t know how to control that. It just happened, and it’s more an optical illusion than anything.

Then, I moved towards trying to work with more color, but still using the same reversal film as negative. So, if I wanted to do recognizable human colors, I had to do all those tests and then color people’s skin in various blues and greens.

HHSP: What I loved about the animation for “Flying to Bermuda” and “School in the Sky,” is that it would have fit in with an Electric Company or Sesame Street short in terms of their whimsical nature, if I can use that word.

Scenes from “School in the Sky.”
__________________________________________________________________ 

Sidebar: The Kids are Alright

Two of the short films Mary Beams animated for Hot Hero Sandwich, “Flying to Bermuda” and “School in the Sky,” are visual interpretations of actual dreams by children as related to Dr. Lee Salk for the series. Up until now, who these voices belong to were unreported, including in the original production documents I have; however, Beams was able to shed some light on who are these young people.

The voice in “Flying to Bermuda” is, in fact, the original child’s voice recorded with Dr. Salk, though their name is unrecorded.

For “School in the Sky,” two voice actors were hired, Leslie Pearlman and Quinn Bakaty. Leslie is the daughter of Jonathan Pearlman, an agent and friend of Beams then-husband Jeff discussed in the interview. Leslie is heard first in “School in the Sky,” followed by Quinn who comes in about the :35 second mark.

Leslie grew up to become a lawyer, and now also teaches yoga. Quinn (sometimes spelled “Quin” in media accounts) was a family friend of Beams. Of note, Bakaty was reported in a New York Times article dated Jan. 28, 1980, as being among a team of journalists, including he and another Children’s Express reporter, sent to interview refugee children from the Killing Fields of Cambodia. In the article, Bakaty was reported at the time to be a 13-year-old eighth-grader ay Intermediate School 70 in Manhattan’s Chelsea section. 

Interesting that at the time Hot Hero Sandwich and the “School in the Sky” animated short film were being broadcast, Bakaty was half a world away reporting from a war zone and talking to children about war’s impact on them — a story, that, unfortunately, seems to reinvent itself every generation.
__________________________________________________________________ 

“Whale Songs,” by Mary Beams (1979) from the Hot Hero Sandwich YouTube channel.

Into the Digital Age

HHSP: Just to jump up a little bit, in 1980 you began to get involved in digital art and I’m kind of a tech head so I’m interested in what equipment was being used around that time. In the notes you sent me, I see you used IBM and Commodore computers and noted with amazement when your 64K system got upgraded to 128K!

In 1979, however, I’m guessing no computers were used for your animation on Hot Hero, but 1980, the very next year, according to your notes again, you worked on a $500 NYU grant [approximately $2,152.83 in 2026] to create work for a Videotex unit [Note: Videotex was an early system that could transmit graphics and text through telephone or cable lines], a project that also attracted artist Keith Haring. There was no overlap with the late ‘70s?

Mary Beams: Yeah, well, I wish I could remember my own life a little better because I’ve separated out the different things and they overlapped in some way . . . the grant from NYU, the one that took me nine months and it took Keith Haring five minutes [laughter], was over that same period, and that was my introduction. That was how I got my hands on digital stuff.

HHSP: The computers were very expensive units back then, and if they were being used for art, I’m going to guess that these were not exactly off-the-shelf computers you were using.

Mary Beams: No, but no . . .  CompuServe was the text thing that was out there. We kind of grew off of CompuServe and then IBM came out with the 128K upgrade, I think, but it was all tied to telephone delivery to your television. I mean, that was the big thing.  That was the wave of the future, as they said.

HHSP: And indeed it was. Interesting to see how the two eras were so close. Now, since you raised it up in your notes, I’m going to pursue it a little bit, about how much you made on Hot Hero Sandwich. You  said you could be a bit off, but you thought maybe about $20,000 [approximately $98,090.78 in 2026] for your work on the series.

Mary Beams:  Yeah. I’m pretty sure that is what that number was.

HHSP: Adjusting for inflation, that was probably even decent for New York City at the time, but then we have to consider, it’s like being an actor. You may get a big paycheck for one project, but it’s got to carry you over through some thin times when you’re jumping from one small job to another. I recall one telling tale in your notes where you’re talking about you had ten W-2s at some point for just one year in your life. I think one thing we don’t really kind of appreciate about a lot of working artists is that often you’re an independent contractor. I’m sure some gets regular, salaried jobs, but it sounds like most of your career you were an independent contractor.

Mary Beams: Yes, I was, and fortunately I was supported by schools and things when that happened, but, I mean, there were times I couldn’t afford the index cards. So, I really felt cast adrift once I left Harvard.

HHSP: I guess you wouldn’t need those index cards today.

Mary Beams: I think about that every time I take my phone out and I walk the dog. I think, “Okay, now I’m taking video, now I’m doing stop motion, I’m taking still frames, I’m recording sound, I’m doing all this on this thing in my palm, and I can go back to my . . . if I actually knew how to do it . . . I could still use that thing in my palm to put it all together and put it out there in the world . . . and that’s just a dog walk.

HHSP: Yeah, absolutely. I remember 30 years ago, back in 1995, working for a public radio network in the Northeast, I was still using a razor blade, a Crayon, a spicing block, and splicing tape to put together a radio interview and now it’s just click and paste. Few people have any appreciation for how much work — actual, hands on work — was required back then compared to what you can do today with a just a click of the mouse. I think about how much more we could have done had we access to that technology then.

Mary Beams: Yes, well, but on the other hand, don’t you sometimes miss that physicality?

HHSP: Absolutely.

Mary Beams: That’s the other thing I think about. You had a room that you went to and there was a bin that was dangling all your film strips and you had to put them together and you had another room that had a whole big, huge camera in it . . . you know, that kind of stuff. I mean, this was vast and thank God places like Harvard supported people.

HHSP: Right. How else was it going to get done back then?

Mary Beams: But it was wonderful, you know? I had to take a train and a bus and then this and then that to take the film to the lab . . .  to get it.  I stopped making movie movies when I was teaching in Tampa when they said the only film lab is out in Portland, Oregon. So, the students had to film, and then we had to ship it out there and get it processed and get it back before they knew what they had.

“Paul Revere is Here,” by Mary Beams (1976) from the Hot Hero Sandwich YouTube channel.

HHSP: It’s a wonder sometimes how things got done. Shifting gears, I see you had a show at the Museum of Modern Art [MoMA] — when was that, 2015?

Mary Beams:  Oh, yes.

HHSP: And School in the Sky was part of that, and I think you mentioned your other two Hot Hero films might be there as well. I wonder, did you get any feedback from your colleagues? I’m guessing a lot of artists were probably not watching a Saturday morning kids’ show . . . but did you get any feedback or did it help play into your career at all?

Mary Beams: No . . . I can’t remember the exact arrangement that we had — Bruce and Carol and I had about showing them — I think I had permission to show them in art situations or something, but mostly that whole wonderful time has just dropped out of consciousness. You’re the first person I’ve run into that knows about it, aside from those of us that had worked on it.

HHSP: Well, that’s not unexpected. I’ve heard variations of that from others connected with the show. It only ran that one season and with no syndication or recordings, so, admittedly, it did fall off the radar, but there are fans who remember it despite such little airtime, and I love making them available now so people can see what they missed or relive what they remember, as I did.

Thank you very much for your time today, Mary. I enjoyed this so much!
__________________________________________________________________ 

Concluding Thoughts

Mary Beams provides the Hot Hero Sandwich Project with critical information about the series’ production, how Bruce and Carol Hart worked with the animators, and how the animation process took place in the era before the sophisticated animation, audio, and video creation software widely, and affordably, available today. Plus, we also got a look at the career of the sole female animator for Hot Hero Sandwich and how it intersected with city government (Boston Subway art), academia (studying and working at Harvard), and, of course, in public broadcasting. With her work preserved with the Museum of Modern Art, Beams’ career receives one of the highest cultural recognitions for an artist.

It came as a surprise to discover that in the 1990s Beams left the art world, largely destroying her vast archive of work, and left with friends for the northern reaches of Minnesota where they set up and ran a pie shop. Yet, having reached a certain age, and being somewhat of a creative person myself, I admit that at various times in my life I have thrown away or abandoned years of work. It can liberate our creativity and allow us to more freely explore our ideas. For artists, however, such an act is not so much one of destruction but, rather, one of creativity. The ultimate work of art is our lives and how we create ourselves on our own terms.

To be able to discuss with the artist of a work that had so long lingered with me is a rare privilege, so many thanks to Mary Beams for generously sharing her time and her memories of her work with Hot Hero Sandwich.

Scenes from “Flying to Bermuda.”

●             ●             ●

No comments:

Post a Comment